Study smarter with eFaqt summaries
- Available on desktop, tablet, mobile & print
- Questions with answers about the material
- Access to 300 000 online summaries
- Smart study features & timers for more results
Get this summary
Samenvatting - The startup owner's manual. the step-by-step guide for building a great company
3 STEP ONE: Customer Discovery
Customers don't behave like your business plan
What are the key questions you should address when setting up a startup?
- Have we identified a problem a customer wants to see solved?
- Does our product solve this customer problem or need?
- If so, do we have a viable and profitable business model?
- Have we learned enough to go out and sell?
The no 1. goal of customer discovery amounts to this: turning the founders' initial hypotheses about their markets and customers into facts.
The most important aspect of customer discovery is getting out the building, in front of customers.
All the rules about new-product management in large companies are turned upside down. It's instructive to enumerate all things you are not going to do:
- understand the needs and wants of all customers
- make a list of all the features customers want before they buy your product
- hand Product Development a features list of the sum of all customer requests
- hand Product Development a detailed marketing-requirements document
- run focus groups and test customers' reactions to your product to see if they will buy
What is the meaning of Enumerate?
Dutch: opsommen. The term is commonly used in mathematics and theoretical computer science to refer to a listing of all of the elements of a set.